Sunday, November 17, 2013

A New Friend (Furry-Friend)

So I love animals. Like LOVE animals. I grew up with a ton of dogs, and my mother currently has four dogs AND a rabbit at my childhood home.

As you may know, we have had a little shih tzu, named Wesley, for sometime now, but we decided we wanted to expand our furry family and get a cat. It just so happened that last Sunday the animal shelter was running a special on cats---half off any cat! Whoo! So we went to look at them with Wesley in tow, and all of the cats hissed, snarled, and tried to attack Wesley through their cages. Not good. But we talked to one of the workers, and just so happened that at the sister shelter located about 10 minutes away, there was a sweet, adorable cat who loved dogs that needed a home.

So, we hopped into the car and drove over to the other animal shelter where we fell in love with a grey/white tabby mix named Hydro. He is sweetest cat. He follows you around like a dog and loves to snuggle. We took him home right away. However, Wesley, while pretty good with cats in general, didn't understand why there was one in his home.

He barked. Hyrdo (now named Miko) hissed and, strangely, began to growl like a vacuum cleaner. It went so far that Miko even scratched Wesley in the face! I couldn't take it--- Wesley was my first furbaby! So, my wonderful husband looked up online how to "introduce" a new pet to an old one. It includes a lot of treats and a lot of belly rubs, but after about 6 days, it seemed to finally be working. Both animals did amazingly today, and I am so excited about our expanded family!





God has blessed me with an amazing, small family. There's a lot of love in that house. 

Have you ever had troubles introducing one pet to another? Do you have any advice for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment